Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Six Degrees of Seperation

Hard to believe that its has been mathematically proven that every person on this earth - includes the President of India, Prime Minister of India, Shahrukh Khan, Amitabh, bin laden, George Bush, Madonna, Bill Gates and Sam Palmisano etc. etc.. and btw, Raveena and Aishwarya too are not more than six hops away from knowing you and me. Its matter of finding of the right hops. check this out : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

Well now, drifting a bit away from the math and getting a bit sentimental...

What about the neighborhood - do we know six neighbors in our society well ? I am not sure about you, but honestly speaking I barely "know" two. At the last IBM offsite I was talking to one of the colleague about how professionals in our industry get drifted from their roots and loose the social contacts and sometimes social skills/tolerance too. I reflected a while thought of some of the reasons - the continuous movement away from places where we have grown up and done our schooling/colleges was the obvious one. Beginning the teenage, until the time I moved out of Mumbai for job and then getting married I have had the best friends, hobbies and social interaction. That seems to have completely lost since I got into the job, drifted away from Mumbai and got married.
What scares me is the effect it is going to have on my future and not much about my present. At present we hardly have the time.. We are damn busy at work and with the kids and sometimes some fun. What happens when we have moved out of jobs ? The situation is scary - no hobbies, no moments to cherish and of all things NO URGENT MAILS TO CHECK !!