Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

SMS/Emails and Jokes Forwarding - A sure shot way to detect informal and strong networks in an organisation / society

A colleague of mine forwarded an email with a bunch of charts - humorous and tickled the brain.. The moment I read it, the first thing I wanted to do was forward it to my colleagues and personal network. A couple of things that can be derived from this-
  • What kind of person I am and what kind of content do I like the most. Of course there are people who forward everything they get where as there are some who seek relevance / appropriateness of the content and send it to their network..then there are some who rarely forward, lazy bones like me..
  • The quality of content - the content, that a person who normally does not forward and does the forwarding, is probably best of the content - of course other way to check the quality and relevance is purely measuring the number of times a content is forwarded or the number of nodes that the content has reached.
  • These forwards can also... interestingly, help derive a social network very easily, if analyzed one will probably detect strongest of the personal networks in an organization. Needless to say, it is not only emails, SMS OR Instant Messaging too will help detect these networks.
In my assessment, it will still leave large part of networks unearthed - for eg: my colleague who sits right next to me and not a great forwarding agent... but great friend of mine will never be spotted on the "forwarding" network.

BTW, Here are a couple of the several interesting graphs that my colleague forwarded...