Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Importance, Urgency and Time Management


Since October 2010, I have been leading the efforts of setting up the Mining Center Of Excellence and have been watching the mining business and news since then. One such news that flashed yesterday where three mining majors - BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto and Vale published their top priorities for business in near future. More than what there priorities are from business perspective, I got interested in the way they represented these priorities - simple yet very effective way to convey the message. The top ten priorities were put out on X and Y Axis which represented Urgency and Importance respectively. I remember the same lesson learnt in one of the time management courses at IBM in my early career. When it comes to prioritization of work, it is a good idea to plot it on these axis and while you work "Urgent" items, keep working hard on the "Important" items too at the same time. It will help bring down the "Urget" items over a period and hence the stress in your life significantly. A logical thought process and has worked (rather I have witnessed) a lot in practice for me...