Pages

Monday, June 11, 2007

Usability and confessoins of a dumb Windows user

It was an interesting struggle for past 15 minutes for me to figure out how do i set my editor setting to "put off" the automatic conversion of my content to Hindi as I type. First and formost, I could not figure out how it was automatically set to convert what I type to Hindi (devnagari script). As a semi technical personI like to understand the features and debug a particular issue to resolve and learn the tool/product and I make it a point to do it whenever I get the time to do so. But its good to do so as a hobby than do the compulsive debugging like the instance I exprerienced a few minutes ago. Why ? Well if you do not have enough technical or tool learning aptitude you may get put off and not want to use the tool again.

This is what has also happened to my desire to use the Linux clent on my thinkpad.
For years I have had a dual boot sysem and 99.9% of time I have booted Windows. Out of hte rest of 0.01 times I booted Linux, 0.005 was because I forgot to chenge the default boot. Well I know that there is an option to reset the initial parameter to change the dual boot option using what they call grub, but never had the time and patience to learn it, change it and use it.. and this applied to many features on linux. I wish these inhibitions to adopting linux are eliminated someday and I boot Linux for the rest of my career and never have to boot the Windws OS.